Tuesday, January 23, 2018

2018: January 23rd 7:16 AM

Already been awake and at the job for a little over an hour - real hard time rousing from slumber this morning. The 8 or so alarms I have set on my iPhone perpetually pummel me and I perpetually snooze them, until the unending cacophony of alarms leave me no choice but to crawl from the warm arms of my love and face the cold, cold world.

Yes. I used cold twice, despite the fact that I live in Los Angeles and the lowest it gets at night here right now is probably in the forties. I am not unaware of the ridiculousness my friends and family in the Midwest and East Coast will look upon this with. I've earned my stripes - did I mention it was -12 windshield for several of the days I was recently back in Chicago? It's all relative. Trust me. If you lived here 47 would be cold cold too.

Drove to work listening to Barry Adamson's Soul Murder. Track 8 reminds me of laying awake all night in a Drumcondra Bed and Breakfast with a broken heart. It's a good memory - one that helped get me here today, even if it occurred at the tail end of a night that almost permanently removed me from the planet. But that's a story for a different time. Soul Murder is exceptional, possibly my favorite of Mr. Adamson's early works, when he was crafting film scores for the movies in his head and releasing them via MUTE.

I can't find Reverie to embed so I'll give you a different taste of the album:



Speaking of music, one of the things I've wanted to do for, oh, probably my entire life is keep a running journal of what I listen to everyday. Like, everything. I don't know how much I'll keep this up, but when I can amass a day's tally, I'll post it here. Yesterday's looks like this:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: From Her to Eternity
The Birthday Party - Mutiny/The Bad Seed
Blut Aus Nord: Memorial Vetusta III:
Helmet: Aftertaste
Odonis Odonis: No Pop
Protomartyr: Agent Intellect
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Henry's Dream
Deafheaven: New Bermuda
The Knife: Shaking the Habitual
Curtis Harding: Face Your Fear
Talking Heads: random tracks from Talking Heads 77 and Fear of Music



No comments: