Thursday, March 6, 2014

Infliction Trailer



I'm not going to lie - despite being a fairly rabid horror fan, over the last year and a half I've developed a sensitivity to violent content. It's not the actual violence but the way in which it is framed.

Kind of weird for a "rabid horror fan", right?

Serial/spree killer topics have always gotten too deep under my skin - it's why I've staunchly avoided Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer, why I've only seen Silence of the Lambs - which I consider just an expertly made film - once, and why despite my sheer LOVE of the script, camera work, set design, acting and pretty much every thing else about David Fincher's Se7en I've only seen it twice. It's why I've never seen Michael Haneke's Funny Games and have actually had to stop reading reviews/critical responses to several of his other films. Within the last two years person-on-person violence has been amped up - hell, even the How to Destroy Angels video for How Long was too much for me. However I'm also the kind of person that does not confuse my prejudices/peccadilloes with judgement. Just because something is not for me or falls into this category of stories/images I do not think it wise for me myself to consume, that doesn't mean I think its bad. On the contrary, there is a lot of very well made, poignant stuff out there that I just - at the moment - choose to stay away from. Case in point - Infliction. The trailer and website launched yesterday, and despite the fact that I can already tell this is probably something I won't see (at least in the immediate future) the film looks well made, fiercely independent and I'm digging the campaign behind it. Watch the trailer and if you're down, check it out. Independent cinema is now as important as independent music, so we have to support what we like (even if we're "afraid" to watch it).


No comments: