Wednesday, November 13, 2013

the pAper chAse - Said the Spider to the Fly



And onto yet another neglected message, this one from my friend Jeffrey of Apocalypse Cow - the best freakin' recording/production studio in Illinois (well, aside from Mr. Albini's - no offense Teresa, Dan or Jeffrey) - sent me a link to this track by the pAper chAse a couple of weeks ago. Flashback about a year ago and Mr. Brown was out to stay with us for a while around xmas and one Saturday while listening to the Henry Rollins show on KCRW Henry played the pAper chAse and both Brown and I dug it. I believe I tracked the band to a website Rollins mentioned and jotted down a note to go back to them and stuck it under the 'mental pillow' (sounds like a terrifying game played at late 18th century insane asylums, eh?) where it became lost in an ever-shifting sea of puppy dogs and demonic bats. Anyway, Jeffrey facebook'd me this recently and although it doesn't sound like what I remember Rollins playing - I'll have to go back and check his show logs (yep!), which are frighteningly complete, and determine. And if that was something different and I'm just confusing the names, hey, that's two great finds Jeffrey served as catalyst for!

This song is fairly disturbing, especially the really jilted guitars that come in near the end to accentuate the discordance transpiring here.

1 comment:

Tommy said...

I LOVE the pAper chAse (ridiculous font aside)! They've been silent for a number of years (their last album was from 2009), but i cannot recommend them enough, especially 2004's "God Bless Your Black Heart," from which this jam comes from and 09's "Someday This Could All Be Yours Vol 1." The band's John Congleton is also a sound engineer/producer who has worked with everyone from Baroness to Polyphonic Spree.

Oh, and every single song by this guy is somewhat menacing and creepy, so that gets a thumbs up too.