Saturday, November 16, 2013

AMC orders Preacher Pilot? (via Bloody Disgusting)

Hole. Lee. Fah. King. Shit.

image courtesy of sequart.org


First, go to Bloody Disgusting and read this.

I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Disgusting on this - I'll admit that because The Walking Dead is still the best comic I read every month (and I read a fair amount of monthly books) I do watch the AMC show but am more often disappointed with it than happy. It's a great example of a show where you consistently 'see' the writing, in the characters' motivations to do things, in the way in which events transpire and in ridiculous plot devices. But like I said, I can't stop watching the show because I love the book and that makes me want to see how the show deviates from it - which is often when it shines the brightest. AMC gearing up to take a crack at what may very well be my favorite comic series of all time makes me... nervous. HOWEVER, in their defense Breaking Bad was, to me, the greatest show of all time. HOWEVER to counter that defense they almost let it slip away after the third season (the same time they fired TWD's showrunner Frank Darabont). AMC has a spotty track record and that makes me nervous. And to change TWD is one thing - to change any single hair on Preacher's head would provoke a tactical response from A LOT of people who are fans. With TWD AMC hedged their bets that the ever-escalating popularity of the zombie was at a time ripe for penetrating to even people our parents' ages and they were right (I have several friends in their early to mid thirties whose mothers are otherwise squeamish and non-horror minded but who LOVE TWD!). I don't think blasphemy, a quest to kick God's ass and Armadillo-sodomy are things anywhere near that kind of market penetration yet - no pun intended.

I guess we'll see...

No comments: