Tuesday, October 8, 2013

RUIN - Indenpendent Comic Kickstarter



My love of comics is a very deep and intense thing. I've been reading them since Larry Hama's GIJOE #49 - roughly the summer before I was in fourth grade or ~1986. Not all comics fit my "like" profile of course - I'm somewhat discerning when it comes to the area of tights and capes for instance. However, the beauty of today's comic climate is that the books and writing have matured with the audience and we now find not only amazingly sophisticated story tellers like Grant Morrison, Jonathan Hickman and Brian Michael Bendis writing superhero books for an equally sophisticated audience, but a wide variety of independent books that not only constantly break new ground in the medium itself but seed and influence big-budget Hollywood movies. Once thing I really try to do with my comic column on Joup.co is focus as much as possible on independent books that the Kickstarter platform has made possible in a way that was just never economically feasible before. I've begun to get emails from a lot of indie folks out there and I confess that lately I'm not always able to feature or even - in several unfortunate cases - respond to the creators because all the writing I do - which is at times almost unmanageable - is on top of my day job, which along with commute through LA traffic* eats up a considerable amount of my day. I try to respond to everyone and I'm getting better at it, but honestly I'd not anticipated the amount of interest.

Now, excuses aside...

The indie books I have begun to spotlight have been books like Ugli Studios Presents and Tension that have consisted of undeniably-constructed Kickstarters. Now another has caught my eye and it will be the focus of an upcoming issue of Thee Comic Column. That said I wanted to jump the gun and start getting the word out there as best I can because there are only thirty-six days left, so without further adieu I give you the Kickstarter video for ...RUIN, a post-apocalyptic, sci fi adventure that looks fantastic!

......................

*Still not as bad as Chicago traffic regardless of what anyone says

No comments: