Sunday, September 8, 2013

My Three Favorite Songs by The Rolling Stones

Yeah, that's a bold statement and a damn hard pick, but I'm having a Stones Sunday, well have been having a Stones week really, and these are the three I ALWAYS hold in the highest regard.



I bought Sticky Fingers at Rolling Stone records (no connection) on Irving Park Road in Chicago back when I was a Junior in High School. Or a Senior, I forget. I was a metal head and on the same trip I bought another all-time favorite, Type O Negative's Bloody Kisses (the superior, digi-pak version). I probably also bought more metal. And my girlfriend at the time probably bought all metal. I say this to illustrate what a departure this was for me. By this time I knew and loved a lot of Stones songs from the radio, liked some and disliked some. I had a pretty thorough knowledge of classic rock in general thanks to WCKG and I had already been a Zeppelin fanatic for years thanks to my Aunt Dottie generously gave me the Zeppelin box set for what was probably my fifteenth or sixteenth birthday. But Zeppelin has, somewhat enigmatically with hindsight, always been more of an analogue to metal. While I liked the Stones it was a limb I went out on spending some of the little money I made at the time on a CD I was unsure of.

I was instantly justified upon hearing Sticky Finger, esp. Sway.



The 70's. Funk. Disco. Espionage. Coke. Fingerprint File. Who's Listening? Who indeed. For my money this is the funkiest, dirtiest the Stones ever got.



Henry Hill. 'Nuff said.

No comments: