Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Fixx - Reach the Beach



The Fixx had long been on my radar as one of those bands who had some radio songs I've loved for as long as I can remember. I'm talking back to about the time One Thing Leads to Another and Saved By Zero were current, chart-topping singles circa 1983. I know, I was born in '76 so I would have been seven at the time. I used to sleep with a little transistor radio and those two Fixx songs along with The Clash's Rock the Casbah, John Cougar Heartattack's Jack and Dianne and all things Huey Lewis stick out in my memory (not a JCM fan, but that song holds an intrinsic nostalgic value because of that). Anyway, a couple years ago I found the album those Fixx songs are on - Reach the Beach - on vinyl at a thrift store. I bought it and it has grown in favor ever since. I've come to love the entire record, the title track above is one of my absolute favs though. There's something very John Carpenter about it.

And I've gotta say, I'm a Ti West fan as is and after waiting something like three years for his masterful House of the Devil I was not disappointed. And the thing that really just added an extra layer of pleasure in watching it the first time was the unexpected use of One Thing Leads to Another. Awesome as always Mr. West!!!

No comments: