Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Soundgarden - Into The Void (Sealth)



I was lucky as hell to get this as a teenager sometime around the time it came out. One year for my birthday my Aunt Dotty gave me a bunch of Coconuts gift coins and I used them to purchase four albums on CD (the only time I'd ever bought more than two at once at that point): Slayer - Decade of Aggression, Skinny Puppy - Last Rites, Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and SoundGarden - Badmotorfinger. With Badmotorfinger I was able to find a copy of the two-disc version where the album proper is complimented by a second disc, SOMMS, or Satan Oscillate My Metallic Sonatas. The second disc starts with a cover of Black Sabbath's Into the Void, a song that I believe has one of the greatest riff-structures of any heavy music anywhere. Soundgarden handle the material VERY adeptly and definitely manage to add something to it. The day I first heard it I was at long-gone Red Tower Records in Orland Park, IL. I asked the clerk what it was (I'd actually never heard either Soundgarden or that particular Sabbath song at that time, I guess this was sometime in '92) but of course didn't have enough money to afford both it and whatever I'd come in for originally. Luckily I was able to find that later copy - the last I ever saw (I always looked).

No comments: