Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Conundrum with the New MBV

image courtesy of walrusmusicblog.com

So I just ordered the vinyl package for the new My Bloody Valentine album. Said package came with the 180 gram vinyl, CD and the digital DL. So the tracks are in my possession, and I'm dying to listen to them, HOWEVER, here's my conundrum.

From the MBV website:

"This vinyl album has been recorded as an analogue album. It was recorded on 2 inch 24 track analogue tape and mixed onto half inch analogue tape and mastered with no digital processing involved. The vinyl is a true analogue cut, i.e. it hasn't been put through a digital process during the cutting process unlike over 90% of all vinyl available today."

Okay, so do I go ahead and listen to the tracks as digital entities, or do I wait (the vinyl/CD's aren't being shipped until the 22nd due to manufacturing) and let such a beautiful and meticulous record find my ears the first time the way it was meant to? It's been fairly easy avoiding the tracks thus far on youtube and pitchfork and whatnot (which is why I've nto posted any here), but now that they're on my computer?

I'm going to attempt to wait, but brothers and sisters, as they say in hell, it ain't gonna be easy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shawn, I know I am going to wait out, so If you need support, give me a call.... Is this AA? I'm confused!

Tommy said...

I bowed to temptation...and i must say, i'm loving the new record. In my humble opinion, i say you listen to the digital cuts now and then compare to the vinyl (preferably on headphones) when it arrives as i'll be doing. Look at it as an appetizer before the main course. :)