Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cee-Lo

A little something lighter in tone. Funny, often appropriate, but soulful as all hell.



Although I've loved that first Gnarls Barkley album the 2nd one, 'The Odd Couple' has taken some getting used to. It's good, great even, but it hasn't quite grabbed me as totally as St. Elsewhere. That began to change when I became obsessed with Breaking Bad last year and they used the second track on the album in the season finale for season one. Admittedly I've not given 'The Odd Couple' the amount of time I gave the first – that's all time and place for me. Depends on what atmosphere I'm into at the moment. Before spiraling into my current Smiths/Joy Division jag to accompany a re-reading of the entire Sandman series by Neil Gaiman I was kinda hot on a soul kick and Gnarls fit perfectly. However that was interrupted by the dour British factory rock...

I know next to nothing about Cee-lo. This is a pretty good place to start. However further investigation will have to wait, as I'm back off to the Dreaming.

....................

* Read an older interview with Thomas Golubic, the music supervisor on Breaking Bad, where he talks about the selection of Gnarls Barkley's 'Who's Gonna Save My Soul' here:

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/2008/03/interview-with-thomas-golubic.php

1 comment:

Big In Day-town said...

I posted "Who's Gonna Save My Soul?" from this album, on my FB (see my blog for details on my fucked-up life). I agree with you about this album, completely.

This song - is a lifeline. You just tossed it to me, and made me grab it with laughs, so I don't end up drowning in my own tears. Thanks, friend.